Saturday, August 29, 2009

Rockin Robin

Not long ago, one of my internet friends admitted that she has switched from NPR and CNN to Twitter as her main source of news.

For some reason, her comment reminded me of a song that Simon & Garfunkel released in 1968, titled “The Only Living Boy in New York”



One of the refrains on the song is this one:

“I can gather all the news I need on the weather report”.

If you updated that refrain to today, it would have to be “I can gather all the news I need - on Twitter”.

Although a DO have a profile page on Facebook, I have so far resisted the urge to join Twitter, a company that really only started doing business three years ago.

When I read that she tweets on a regular basis, the first thing that came to mind was the song that was released by the late Bobby Day
way back in 1958:



In 1972, the Jackson Five did another version, and the main performer in their version was a young man named Michael, who was born on August 29, 1958 (the year that the song was originally released.)



I already spend more time than I should on the computer, so it’s not likely that I’ll start tweeting anytime soon. However, if you are inclined to join the latest “social networking” phenomenon, all I can add is this:

“The early bird catches the worm.”

No comments:

Post a Comment