Monday, April 25, 2011

Hootie and the blowfish

Hootie & the Blowfish is an American rock band that enjoyed widespread popularity in the second half of the 1990s. They were originally formed in 1986 at the University of South Carolina by Darius Rucker, Dean Felber, Jim Sonefeld, and Mark Bryan. The band has recorded seven studio albums to date, and has charted sixteen singles on various Billboard singles charts. Their 1994 debut album, Cracked Rear View, is currently the 15th best-selling album of all time in the US, going platinum 16 times.

The idea for the band came about when Mr. Bryan heard Mr. Rucker singing in the shower at the dorm room they shared at the University, and was impressed by his singing ability. The band got its name due to the fact that one of Rucker’s college choir classmates wore round glasses, and had a round face, giving him an owl-like appearance similar to the picture below:



Although a number of their songs are familiar to us, the one below is the one that is the most recognized:

Hold my hand

The picture above, as well as the other pictures of me on this page, was taken by one of my co-workers, who recently added the FatBooth app to her iPhone. After seeing the picture, I did a little thinking:



Who else would be a good candidate for the blowfish (or blowhard) nickname? The first name that came to mind was Newt Gingrich, whose bombastic theatrics add another dimension to his round faced appearance



The political arena certainly has no shortage of men with large egos, so there’s no question that you’d also have to include the guy pictured below:



My choice in the entertainment industry might surprise you ...



since the whole world seems to be gaga over the lady pictured below:



Since the topic of music has been brought up, I should mention to you that one of my favorite groups is Pink Floyd.



Another Brick in The Wall

If the above picture offends you, or you’re not fond of the group's music, let me offer my heartfelt apology.



Since the Blackhawks are still in the hunt for the Stanley Cup, my pick in the sports category would by Hawks coach Joel Quenneville



You’ll be happy to know ...



that I decided to stay away from religious leaders, but the guy pictured below would surely qualify



If you think of anyone else that makes you angry ...



let me know, and I’ll add them to the list.

All this thought this late in the evening is causing me to feel a little sleepy ...



so I think I’ll bring this topic to a close.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha!! I tweeted this to Darius Rucker himself!!!
    telling all of my tweeps this post was a "Hoot and a Holla" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. House:

    I LOVE your comment!!

    How in the world do you know Darius Rucker ???

    ReplyDelete