Saturday, August 8, 2020

Why I don't watch television, part 4

 

Life keeps getting more complicated. Since I published the article posted below, we’d made a few more changes in our technology.

http://tohell-andback.blogspot.com/2018/05/why-i-dont-watch-television-part-3.html

After Brian’s old laptop flamed out, I was forced to buy another desktop computer. By now, the bugs have been worked out of the Windows 10 operating system, so everything worked fine when I put it all together in our home office.

Our current system of CenturyLink and Direct TV worked fine - until about a week ago. Since Kim will be starting work again in the new future, she needed HIGH SPEED internet to do her job. Since CenturyLink could not provide a service that was fast enough, we went to Xfinity, which also necessitated switching back to Comcast for our television service, at least for now.

Since we have now added a TV to the living room, we needed add another DirectTV box for the living room. Due to the switch shown above, it will be dormant until (and if) we switch back to DirectTV.

Since the DVD player in the master bedroom is a bit rickety, we bought a DVD/Blu- Ray/streaming device for the TV in the living room. From what I can tell, it did not come with an owner’s manual, and I had Brian install it for us. It IS possible to download the entire 62 page owner’s manual for free, but that would necessitate the printing costs. If you are willing to spend the time, you can view the owner’s manual in a PDF file for free.

http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/8/8b625c2e-dca3-4376-8c70-2aaa6e5720da.pdf

The remote for our DVD/Blu-Ray unit has 38 buttons, which includes the TWO “power buttons”. The new Xfinity box has its own remote, which has 30 buttons. The Samsung TV also has a remote, which has 47 buttons.




Television, naturally, is not the only thing that has gotten more complicated – and it’s all due to the coronavirus. In order to pick up a book from the library, I need to send a text from outside the building, and the librarian will then bring my books to me.

My sister attends church services by ZOOM, because going to church services inside a building is still too dangerous.

Even more dangerous than going to church, though, is going to school, and I have not worked as a sub teacher since the middle of March. You may have read that 166 students contracted the virus the first day of school in Mississippi, but neither political party will have live conventions because it is not safe to do so.

Sub teachers will soon the option of subbing remotely, but I have no idea how that will work. Another option is acting as a proctor for a classroom with a limited number of students.

Although I’m reasonably competent when it comes to computers, when it comes to television, I’m going to have to get by with a little help from my friends – and that’s why I don’t watch much television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C58ttB2-Qg




No comments:

Post a Comment