Thursday, October 1, 2009

Rob Roy

Rob Roy, the beverage, made its appearance in New York in the 1890’s, about 10 years after the introduction of the Manhattan. Its introduction coincided with the time that Dewars Scotch Whiskey was introduced to New York, and a play titled Rob Roy opened on Broadway.

The drink was named after a real life Scottish hero named Robert Roy MacGregor, an early 18th century folk hero, who is sometimes called the Scottish Robin Hood. His story was brought to life in the 1995 film titled “Rob Roy”, which starred Liam Neeson.



Although there are several variations of the recipe, the one listed below is the most common:

Rob Roy, the recipe.

Although I’ve long been a scotch “aficionado”, I’ve never had a “perfect Rob Roy” – until last night. I’m here to tell you, it’s a very SMOOTH drink.

On very rare occasions, I'll have a Rusty Nail, a drink containing scotch and Drambuie, a scotch-based liqueur. I introduced my dad to the drink way back in 1970, and it’s safe to say that I’ve never seen a happier man after he took his first sip.

Although many scotch drinkers prefer their drinks “neat” (without ice), there IS an alternative that I still like on occasion:




Cheers !!

No comments:

Post a Comment