Wednesday, February 22, 2012

with a little help from my friends ...

.
Now that I’m rapidly approaching the “normal” retirement age of 65,
I’ve come to the realization that some of the people that I consider my friends are folks that I have known for close to 50 years (yikes!)

Even today, I can still recall some of the adventures that we had together when we were just kids, and I’ll always cherish those memories. Sadly, some of my friends have already passed on due to “natural causes”, which is a stark reminder that we all need to live each of our remaining days as fully as we can, because there ain’t any guarantees in life.

I, and all of my friends, have witnessed a multitude of trials and tribulations, but what got us through all of those trials were the bonds that we all shared - not as blood relatives, but as spirits in kind.

Joe Cocker, at Woodstock, probably gave the best description of friendship that I could ever come up with, even if he might have slightly (?) inebriated when he performed this song:

Joe may have had a more liberal outlook on life than my fellow Minnesotans (let’s all get stoned), but one thing that he got right is this:

If you‘re a friend of mine, you are SO beautiful:

No comments:

Post a Comment