Saturday, January 9, 2021

Angels we have heard on high

The Newsroom television show, starring Jeff Daniels, was on the air from 2012 through 2014. The most famous episode of the series (for which Jeff Daniels got an Emmy award) was when a young woman asked him why America was the greatest country in the world. He answered that America is only #1 in the world in 3 categories – the number of incarcerated people per capita, the percentage of the population that believes in angels, and defense spending. 

I’ve already written some articles about the first and third topics, so I’d like to address the second, which is angels.

 An Associated Press survey from about 10 years ago found that 77% of the American population believes that angels are real. Although Italians and Croatians also believe in angels, their percentages are somewhat less, and most counties are a lot less. 

I was an insurance underwriter for 25 years, so I don’t believe anything that I haven’t researched personally, which is why I am convinced that the story of Noah’s ark is a myth. 



However, I DO believe that angels exist – even though there is absolutely no way to prove that. There have been numerous times in my life that I avoided disaster for no apparent reason, and “the luck of the Irish” was not always fail proof. 

In the 1946 movie, “It’s a Wonderful life” Jimmy Stewart’s character had an angel named Clarence. I don’t know his name, but I’m pretty sure that I’ve got a guardian angel watching over me from time to time so that no harm befalls me. 

By the way, I also believe in ghosts – and so does 45% of the American population. If you need more convincing, I’d recommend reading “True Irish Ghost Stores (St. John Seymour and Harry Neligan), “Ghosts of the Heartland” (Frank McSherry, Charles Waugh, and Martin Greenberg), and “Resurrection Mary” (Kenan Heise). 

Now it’s time to talk about the Blessed Virgin Mary. 

The house that Mary, Joseph, and Jesus lived in (in what eventually became Palestine) was moved in the latter part of the 13th century to Dalmatia to protect it from Muslim soldiers during the Crusades, and eventually moved to Italy. 

Both moves were facilitated by angels. 


This is the part where my “bullshit detector” kicks in. 

As it turns out, it’s a true story.

 In the 13th century, a noble Byzantine family, the Angeli family, was responsible for both moves. The name “Angeli” means “angel” in both Greek and Latin. The modest house in Palestine was much modified over the centuries, and eventually it evolved into the Basilica della Santa Casa, which is located in Loreto, Italy. 

The basilica is also known as the Madonna of Loreto. Christopher Columbus made a vow to the Madonna of Loreto in 1493 when he and his crew were caught in a storm during their return journey from the Americas. He later sent a sailor to Loreto on a pilgrimage of thanksgiving on behalf of the entire crew. 

Queen Christina of Sweden offered her royal crown and sceptre to the Virgin Mary in Loreto in 1655 after her conversion from the Lutheran faith to Catholicism. 

Napoleon plundered the shrine and its treasury on Feb. 13, 1797, taking with him precious jewels and other gifts offered to the Virgin Mary by European aristocracy, including several French monarchs, over the centuries. Yet, the object of real value in the eyes of pilgrims, the Holy House of Mary, was left unharmed. 

In a homily in 1995, Saint Pope John Paul II called the Holy House of Loreto, “the house of all God’s adopted children.” 


There is virtually no chance that I’ll ever get to see the basilica in person. In fact, due to the coronavirus, there is also zero chance that I’ll ever leave the country again, which makes my trips to Ireland and China all the more special. 

 The year 2020 was one of the mot bizarre years that I have ever lived through, but I AM hopeful that 2021 will be much better. I you are still feeling stressed about the news that we all get on a daily basis, take a minute or so to gaze on an old basilica in Loreta, Italy, because it will likely bring you comfort. 

After all, that’s what angels do.






No comments:

Post a Comment